Tour of Lamar Cemetery
Time & Location
About The Event
222 Hagy Dr. Directional signs from Park Rd 13 to Stella Maris Chapel.
This burial ground originally served pioneer settlers of the Lamar community. Founded by James W. Byrne (d. 1862), a native of Ireland and a veteran of the Texas Revolution, it was named for his friend Mirabeau B. Lamar, President of the Republic of Texas from 1838-1841. The earliest grave is that of Patrick O’Connor (1822-1854), a bookkeeper for Byrne’s business operations in New Orleans. The town of Lamar ceased to exist by 1915 and the cemetery was neglected until the 1940s when it was restored through efforts by the family of John Henry Kroeger, Jr. (d. 1944).