Garden chives such as these may have been used by “Doc” Bruhl.
By Kam Wagert
Friends of the History Center for Aransas County
Albert L. Bruhl owned the house we now call the History Center from 1896 – 1907. Although he was a pharmacist, the local townspeople called him “Doc” as he often prepared his own medicines, remedies, and salves.
Thanks to the efforts of Pat Garland, Carla Rinche and Pam Stranahan, an herb garden has recently been installed at the History Center. The herbs planted include many with medicinal uses that “Doc” Bruhl might have utilized.
Basil can be used to ease stomach cramps and headaches. “Doc’s” All Healing Salve might have been made from the dried leaves or flowers of the calendula plant. Comfrey rootstock helps throat inflammations and bleeding gums. Dill tea is a popular remedy for an upset stomach. Fennel seeds and roots are excellent stomach and intestinal remedies. The oil of marjoram can be applied externally for varicose veins and rheumatism. Mullein tea is a good remedy for coughs. Crushed fresh sage leaves can be used as first aid on insect bites.
Many different types of herbs have been planted in “Doc’s Garden,” including those with medicinal uses, some for culinary use, and others for making potpourris. Visitors to the History Center may use a booklet that lists all of the herbs in the garden, and their uses. All of the herbs in the garden are labeled.
The History Center of Aransas County is located at 801 E. Cedar. It is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 10:00am – 2:00pm, and admission is free. For more information, go to www.aransashistorycenter.org. or call (361) 727-9214.